Monday, January 6, 2014

Thrifted Kitchen table re-done


Today's post is about my new kitchen table! I had a round table I had purchased at wally world about 5 years ago. It had served us well, and I loved the look, size and shape of it.


But when you have little kids and you buy an MDF topped table and you DON'T put a polyurethane coat on top....you messed up! My kids did a number on that pretty little table. Hindsight - we REALLY should have taken the time to poly the top, but we didn't. Every time I would wipe down the table it would leave black paint on my rag. Every time the table got wet it would bubble the mdf up. We eventually were left with a really ugly table top.


So I went on the hunt in thrift shops and online yardsale sites to find something I liked to re-do. I was lucky enough to come across this table that was the perfect shape I wanted, REAL wood all the way through, and only $20!


I apologize for all the bad cell phone pics, but I was too excited to get started on this project and forgot to take proper before pics. So this is the table after my hubby took the top off. My plan was to sand the top completely and restain it. Then put a poly coat on and paint the base. I started sanding the top and it was NOT coming off. It had some weird type of coating on it (not to mention years of dirt and grime) that was not coming off very easily. So I asked my husband to come take a look and show me an easier way. He ended up doing the whole top himself, lol. Yep, that was easiest for me! We tried stripping it first, but even that didn't work. It took him two days and tons of sand paper, but he eventually got through it all and we were left with an amazingly gorgeous smooth surface that looked almost brand new.

Before sanding, all dirty and scratched up even though you can't see it that well in the photo

My poor hubby working so hard to sand that table top.
After sanding for two days we re-stained the top with Rust-Oleum Early American stain. 


Two coats of stain and then we put about 3 coats of polycrylic on top of that. Here is the table top after the stain, but before the poly. You can't really notice that big of a difference from the photos, but it's a huge difference in person.


As he was sanding away, I painted the base. I like to use latex paint because it's so much more affordable than chalk paint. It takes a little more prep work, but I've found this sanding deglosser at Home Depot and it's great. As long as your piece isn't too shiney/plasticey (I make up my own words often) you just glove up your hands, rub this on and let it dry. It creates a scratchy enough surface that your paint will stick to it.


After that I used Valspar Fish Story interior Satin paint. I bought 3 sample jars and still have almost a whole jar left. I painted the table base AND 4 chairs with it. I just love those little sample jars of paint! I painted two-three coats and then sanded some of the corners down a little to give it a little weathered look. I didn't go big on the weathered look at all, I'm always nervous to do that. One day I'll take a piece and really scratch it up and maybe even wax it, but this time I let my nerves get the best of me and just scratched it up a bit. After sanding we put two coats of polycrylic on.

I did the same thing to the chairs. But I loved the top of the table so much instead of painting the chair seats we decided to strip the black paint off, sand it all the way down to the wood and stain those as well. We are very happy with the results! Here is a picture trail of our new table. We had all the supplies on hand except the paint and can of paint stripper. So I think we spent about $35 total including the $20 on the table originally.






Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more projects we've been doing in our new house! :)

1 comments:

Barbara said...

Such a terrific job ! I love it all. (I found you from your link at Create Kids Couture and I'm so glad I did ! )

Post a Comment